I hadn’t gotten around to updating my Mac to Yosemite yet, so I hadn’t updated the homebrew formula for bsdgames-osx yet. Happily, though, some enterprising person went and did so. There’s now an updated homebrew bsdgames-osx formula for Yosemite. BINOWN and friends need to be set for bsdmake to work right now, which is why the old formula wasn’t working anymore.
There’s a new 2.19.3 update for bsdgames-osx this holiday season. The previous update that fixed mille compilation errors with more recent versions of clang accidentally clobbered a variable that was supposed to be a bool that was really a tristate variable. Ooops. An astute commenter brought the issue to my attention, and last night I finally got around to fixing it. Now you can happily play mille to your heart’s content (and it’s surprisingly fun).
If you’ve upgraded your Mac to Maverics and tried to build bsdgames-osx, you probably found that the compiler compains bitterly about redefinition of typedef ‘va_list’ is a C11 feature and bombs out horribly. The bug in question is in the system headers, too, so fixing the code is obviously out of my hands. There’s an easy fix, though. Add CFLAGS=“-std=c11” when running bsdmake to build the games, and it compiles fine.
Courtesy of kognate over on github, we have a 2.19.1 minor point release of bsdgames-osx. It seems that something changed between the version of clang I have installed and the one he has installed, so he added stdbool.h to mille and made a few other changes to get it to compile. These changes get it compiling happily with Apple LLVM version 5.0. You can see more on the pull request’s discussion.
I am pleased to announce the release of version 2.19.0 of bsdgames-osx. This release adds ching and wtf to the package. Both taken from the NetBSD sources, ching is the venerable I Ching generator from back in the Version 7 days that was long encumbered by AT&T copyrights. The C program itself was rewritten for 4.4BSD and had no AT&T code, but the data file was encumbered until Caldera open sourced the Ancient Unixes a while back.
Version 2.18.2 of bsdgames-osx has been released to address more string handling problems in rogue. In testing, rogue no longer segfaults at or after level 3. The homebrew formula has been updated again.
I’ve released bsdgames-osx 2.18.1, a minor update fixing a memory allocation problem in rogue. The homebrew formula has been updated accordingly.
Since I’ve made a 2.18.0 release of bsdgames-osx, I also went and make a bsdgames-osx homebrew formula to install it as well. Just plunk it in /usr/local/Library/Formula and run brew install bsdgames-osx, and you should be up and going. If it doesn’t go smoothly, of course, I’d like to hear about it; probably the best way to report issues is through Github. The 2.18.0 release (the number was chosen to be similar to the Debian bsdgames version) isn’t a huge change or anything.